Bukidnon Provincial Medical Center hit for lack of meds, supplies

MALAYBALAY CITY (Bukidnon News/29 September) Provincial government officials admitted that an investigation is ongoing probing the procurement of medicines and supplies at the Bukidnon Provincial Medical Center, Bukidnon’s premier government hospital.

This after board member Ranulfo Pepito in a privilege speech Wednesday at the Sangguniang Panlalawigan’s regular session questioned the lack of supplies and medicines at the BPMC citing that some patients were allegedly refused admission because of the problem.

“What’s happening with our Bukidnon Provincial Medical Center? When will it ever serve the public right?” he added.

Pepito said he received reports from a Valencia City-based private hospital that they admitted patients, whom the BPMC allegedly refused due to lack of supplies and medicines. He clarified that the patients were referred to other hospitals.

“(Telling them to secure the supplies and meds in an emergency situation) is a subtle way of refusing them,” he added via telephone.

The board member in an SMS named two patients from Valencia, one who was stabbed and another with a serious ailment, who were allegedly referred to the private hospital in the next city because the BPMC did not have oxygen and x-ray film, among others.

The latter patient eventually died, Pepito said.

Reacting to the speech, Vice Gov. Jose Ma. R. Zubiri Jr, told Bukidnon News he initiated a probe on alleged problems with bidding and unauthorized delivery of supplies and medicines at the BPMC and the other provincial hospitals in the province.

Zubiri said allegedly a total of about P16 million accumulated unauthorized deliveries were made since last year and about P23 million worth of purchases were made allegedly without proper bidding process.

He added that the Philippine Health Insurance Corporation (Philhealth) has warned of a probe in October 5, which could possibly lead to sanctions against the hospitals’ accreditation with the health insurance corporation.

Provo Antipasado, provincial administrator, declined to give other comments although he confirmed that there is indeed an on-going investigation initiated by Zubiri and Calingasan. He could not disclose details as of this week.

Gov. Alex Calingasan told his radio program Saturday the provincial board has looked into the bidding process of the supplies and medicines and admitted there was delay in the bidding process.

Pepito told this reporter Saturday this is not the first time complaints were raised against the hospital’s procurement and availability of supplies and medicines.

He said Zubiri requested an audience with Calingasan to face-off on the problem next week. (Walter I. Balane/Bukidnon News)