[3RD UPDATE] ‘Pablo’ leaves 4 dead; P304 million damage to crops so far in Bukidnon

Pablo Aftermath: Debris are all over in the river bank of Pulangi, just across the bridge in Purok 1, Batangan, Valencia City| Bukidnon News photo by Walter Balane

MALAYBALAY CITY (Bukidnon News.Net/06 December) Four persons were killed and about 26, 123 were directly hit by Typhoon Pablo’s havoc in Bukidnon, according to Arsenio Alagenio in his report to the Sanggiuniang Panlalawigan Thursday.

The provincial board is set to declare Bukidnon under state of calamity to be able to access about P126 million calamity funds, including savings incurred since 2010.

As of December 6, the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council, reported a total of 114 out of Bukidnon 464 barangays, which were hit by the typhoon in its two cities and 12 of 20 towns.

Reported killed were six-year old Roniel Brandares who was hit by a fallen coconut trunk on the way out of their house Brgy. San Isidro in Valencia City Tuesday morning.

In Manolo Fortich, an uprooted tree also hit elderly farmer Ramonito Bongcasan of San Miguel, Manolo Fortich town, said Rosario A. Escaler, municipal social welfare and development officer.

In Talakag town, Susan Seno, municipal social welfare and development officer, told Bukidnon News.Net a farmer identified as Oscar Dindoy, 41, was crossing the Kimon Creek in Brgy. Dagundalahon, when he drowned.

In Malitbog town, in Bukidnon’s border with Misamis Oriental and Agusan del Sur, the PDRRMC also reported another casualty identified as Gino Sagayna, who was trying to save his mother. He drowned in a location the PDRRMC did not identify. His mother survived.

Another farmer from Valencia City identified as Buddy Mahinay, 51, also drowned in an attempt to recover livestock in Purok 7 in Brgy. Maapag on December 5. But Capt. Alejandro Larosa, operations officer of the Valencia City disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council said it cannot be lumped into the official death toll as if happened “after the disaster.”

As of Thursday afternoon, the PDRRMC cited the number of houses totally destroyed to be 259 and the partially damaged at 190.

Engr. Alson Quimba, provincial agriculture officer, told the provincial board that as of December 5, they estimated about P304 million worth of crops damaged.

About P169.8 million of the figures were attribute to corn and P77.2 million to rice, according to the Provincial Agriculture Office’s initial report as of December 5.

Bulk of the estimates were attributed to damages from San Fernando town with P166.6 million damage to crops, including P83.4 million to corn at tussling stage and P16.8 million at vegetative stage. The estimate includes P60.3 million to rice at reproductive stage, also from San Fernando town.
The report does not include figures yet from Malaybalay City, Malitbog and other towns affected by Typhoon Pablo.

The Sangguniang Panlalawigan is set to declare the province in a state of calamity, setting Wednesday, December 12, next week as deadline for official and final reports of damages and needs.

Engr. Fredolpo Pinto, provincial engineer, told this reporter they were still unable to give estimates to infrastructure damages around the province but vowed a report to beat the deadline.

One town, Talakag, which was also hit by Sendong in December 2011, is isolated. The two approaches to the town in the province’s boundary with Cagayan de Oro are impassable with the Ugyaban Bridge washed out and the Dagumbaan Bridge over Taloban River with a scoured approached.

He cited provincial roads in Cabanglasan, San Fernando, and Valencia City also needing immediate repair.

The National Irrigation Administration also reported that 1,038 hectares of rice fields out of 11,000 in the Pulangi River Irrigation System was affected by the typhoon.

Engr. Antonio Chang, chief of equipment and properties, told Bukidnon News.Net they have to close irrigation to 350 hectares of rice fields in the area due to the damage left by ‘Pablo.’ He could not say when they will resume irrigation in Lateral C cluster, where the road, not just the canal, was destroyed.

Mayor Leandro Jose Catarata called for cooperation to save the ‘City of Golden Harvest’ from further damage especially for its agriculture sector during the CDRRMC meeting Wednesday.

Bukidnon has calamity funds of P126 million, Vice Gov. Jose Ma. R. Zubiri Jr. said at the provincial board Thursday. He required chiefs of offices in the provincial government to produce the evidence of damage and needs before Wednesday next week.

Arsenio Alagenio, PDRRMC operations chief, said Malaybalay, Valencia and Lantapan already declared their areas in a state of calamity. (Walter I.Balane/Bukidnon News.Net)