Capitol postpones Kaamulan 2015 from March to October

MALAYBALAY CITY (BukidnonNews.Net/12 January) Citing lack of budget from the participating towns in the province and the lack of time to prepare, among other reasons, the provincial government is eyeing to postpone Kaamulan 2015, originally scheduled in March to October this year in time for the indigenous peoples’ month.

Gov. Jose Ma. R. Zubiri opened the possibility during the Dec. 16 regular session of the Sangguniang Panlalawigan last year, records at the SP show.

Zubiri cited that he will defer to the suggestion of the members on the schedule of the Kaamulan, which was just recently held in time for the Bukidnon Centennial Celebration on September 1, 2014.

Zubiri said only Bukidnon’s two cities and three towns agreed to join if Kaamulan 2015 will be pursued in March.

The decision was formally announced in Zubiri’s radio program on Wednesday and at the convocation program here Monday.

During the SP deliberations, Datu Magdalino Mayda Pandian, provincial IP mandatory representative initially said budget will not be a hindrance to pursue the important rituals and activities of a simplified celebration.

But board member Manuel Dinlayan said it must be done in October and spend available money for now for scholarships for members of IP communities.

Dinlayan said time should be spent to proceed with cultural and education initiatives of the IP mandatory representatives. He cited also the problem that there are still LGUs with barangays with no IP representatives.

The SP planned to file a resolution postponing Kaamulan 2015 tentatively on October 29 in time for the IP month celebration.

Zubiri, however, clarified that the postponement will only be true for this year. (Walter I. Balane/BukidnonNews.Net)