Classes from pre-school to high school suspended in Malaybalay City for ‘Ruby’

MALAYBALAY CITY (Bukidnon News.Net/04 December) Classes in the preschool to high school in all private and public schools in the city were suspended effective December 5 (Friday) as a precautionary measure for the occurrence of typhoon Ruby or Hagupit.

Mayor Ignacio W. Zubiri, in his Executive Order No. 32 series of 2014, ordered the cancellation and suspension of classes on the day the typhoon entered the Philippine Area of Responsibility (PAR) also as a pre-emptive measure. He cited that the decision came as a “unanimous recommendation” from members of the City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council in a meeting earlier today.

Zubiri cited that Bukidnon has been included “among the provinces to be affected by the said weather disturbance which will bring strong winds and rains as forecasted by the state weather agency.”

There were reports in social media criticizing the city government for delayed suspension of classes in previous storms.

Arsenio Alagenio, operations manager of the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council said the city’s move is “advance” and that there are no declarations of suspension of classes yet in the rest of Bukidnon. He cited that the province is placed so far as “an area to be affected” in an alert warning, not yet under a storm signal.

He noted that the PDRRMC met Thursday afternoon to assess their capacity and readiness to respond in the case of typhoon Ruby affecting Bukidnon.

“We are ready and we are alerting the local DRRMCs around the province,” he added. (Walter I. Balane/Bukidnon News.Net)